Tuesday, May 02, 2006

(sigh) Realtors

Although I have some really good friends that our realtors and at times thought it would be awesome to be a real estate agent, I really am annoyed with the profession in general. The removal of cincymls.com is evidence of how the realty business operates as a cartel like OPEC.

I'm only slightly annoyed right now but it at least warrants a blog. We got our offer yesterday morning.... pretty good overall but we definitely need to meet a middle ground. Of course they gave us until 5pm last night to get the counter offer back. Completely understandable as we could go shopping for bids if we take too much time. However, we countered around noon, and then last night I hear that the realtor is working the polls and won't get back to us until Wednesday.

This is where I get annoyed and why I was actually excited that the house I just bought was an owner agent. The realtors with my sell put in 2 extra people in the process to deal with and not only provides inefficiency into the bidding process but can actually screw up the deal. For instance, I proposed a change in the close date. Not sure if their request is a hard date, as in they have to be out of a lease, etc. However, we would like a different date but it's not a big deal either way, but the buffering of the realtors doesn't necessarily allow that communication to occur.

I think we are starting to see it but I think there will be a large shift in how real estate is bought and sold. I think realtors fit into the picture but their role should be drastically different.

2 Comments:

Blogger BAS said...

No doubt there needs to be a shift. Another example is how much more $ they have made now as real estate prices have escalated. Are they doing more work that really justifies their pay increasing THAT substantially? I don't see the level of service increasing at all. In fact, it has probably decreased. But for some dumb reason, we have to stick to the set %. Where's the competitive free market? I think the dude who wrote FREAKONOMICS talks about this a lot.

6:46 AM

 
Blogger Jenn said...

oooh, i really want to read
FREAKONOMICS. have heard good stuff about it.

12:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home