Monday, February 13, 2006

Garbage Disposal





Spent the weekend installing a garbage disposal, not replacing, installing. Here are the stats:

Time Spent - ~12 hours
Cost - ~$175
Tools Used
-Hammer (2)
-Drill
-Pipe Wrenches (2)
-MORriS (Mother Of all Reciprocating Saws)_
-Coat Hanger (2)
-Ski Pole
-25 pound dumbbell
-Wire cutters
-Pliers (Needle nose and regular)
Contorted Positions - 23
Trips to Home Depot - 2
Electric Shocks - 0

Overall, although it took awhile and was not without frustrations, my reduction in trips to HD, and the zero electric shock factor, made this home improvement item all around okay. The wiring was definitely the challenging part, especially since I suck at electricity stuff. My first "C" came in my "Electricity and Electromagnetism" class in college... I'm not bragging, there were plenty more. But, I got out of that class and thanked God that I was going to be a civil engineer.

I thought I'd take the challenge of this one considering a guy I work with said that wiring to the breaker is pretty easy and I had bought the GD over a year ago and never had it installed because it was going to cost over $300 to have someone do it, not including materials. I hate electric work because the electric shock risk but since I would be wiring to the breaker my risk of electric shock was lower since I wouldn't hook it up until the end.

Then I remembered, it wasn't the safety that bugged me about wiring, I hate wiring because it's a pain in the butt. Especially if you have an old house like mine that doesn't have a wall cavity to feed the wire.

Luckily it's done and I don't think anything will catch of fire or leak. Would I do it again? Not a chance.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jared said...

we're gonna have to make a home improvement tv show starring you if you don't stop with the projects soon. i'm planning on using you for all improvement escapades when kim and i get a house...

11:49 AM

 
Blogger ashley said...

I must say I am very impressed, I admire the creative use of everyday and not so everyday objects. We have some deck stuff sitting in the back yard (that has been there for about three months) that Brian needs a little help with. He threatened to throw all of it over the fence when he attempted to do it himself.

5:45 PM

 
Blogger Jenn said...

Please see my blog for additional props. You rock. Keep advertising your skills like this and you will never be home to do repairs at our house anymore. :-)

4:52 AM

 
Blogger Heidi said...

Your wife being happy: priceless

1:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home