Wednesday, January 18, 2006

SLC Post #2 (Day 2)

I started my first day in SLC somewhat intensely. "Powder Rules" were in effect which meant there was greater than 4 inches of new snow at the mountain and the truck left at 8am to make the first lift... if you weren't ready, you were left. We arrived at Snowbasin and I got my lift ticket. My plan was to take a group lesson as my skiing skills have plataeued for the last several years so I wanted to get better. As I began walking over to the ski school I was beckoned by my buddy to "GET ON THE LIFT!!! REGISTER AFTER THE FIRST RUN." I'm pretty easily persuaded so I hopped on the gondola, slightly worried that I had never clicked into my skis but nonetheless happy to be skiing soon.

http://www.snowbasin.com/winter/trail_maps.html

We arrived at the top (Needles Lift on the map) and started down the mountain. Doing most of my skiing in Indiana, I am not too familiar with powder skiing but that didn't stop Jeff from forcing down runs that were way over my head. I actually did pretty well though. I can't even remember if I fell.... at leat not until I got near the bottom on the nice easy run, caught an edge and hit face first on a nicely groomed green slope. It was sorta stunning, first from the initial pain, then the realization that my goggles were cracked pretty good, then from the blood dripping onto the fresh snow.

I got myself back together and finished the run since there was no one around to help me out. At the bottom we were able to assess that I didn't need stitches so I went to the marble clad bathrooms of this Olympic Resort and washed the blood off my face.

It really wasn't that bad, just the fact that the goggles broke and cut me up between my eyes. My head hurt pretty good but I wear a helmet, for very obvious reasons, so that absorbed most of it. I then proceeded to register for my lesson.

Awesomely enough, I paid for a group lesson, but no one else showed so I got and individual lesson for the price of a group. Rock on!!!

Basically, I'm a self taught skier and as I expected, I taught myself wrong. I really frustrated the dude that was instructing me because he had to pretty much unteach me and reteach the correct ways. It proved to be worth the money though and my skills improved dramatically the rest of the day.

That night, more Catan.

9 Comments:

Blogger BAS said...

I apologize to all for what might be a long comment by my humbleself. Actually, I have a couple comments. I almost threw up after reading this post, I was laughing so hard. Buff.
1) Can you clarify what you mean when you say you “hit face first on a nicely groomed green slope”? Does this mean you tried to snow ski on grass?
2) Since your memory might be a little blurry (“I can’t even remember if I fell”), are you 100% sure you didn’t go ramming into some dude at 78 mph? Similar to the infamous Paoli incident back in 2g1? Or worse yet, are you sure you didn’t ram some grandma or little kid? I’m pretty sure the Paoli incident is what convinced you that wearing a helmet was wise. Who knows how you and that dude survived any serious injuries. Even though you said sorry twice from the time he came into your vision until the time you were laying on top of him.
3) Were there any goats spotted on the trails that day? I’m sure you probably don’t remember this either, if you did lapsed into even slight unconsciousness that day. But I’m thinking back to the infamous goat incident of nine-two, the one that kept you out of wrestling practice for a week. Goats ramming into people on ski slopes have been known to break goggles and create a little blood.
4) If I’m the dude teaching the lesson, and some spank walks up to me with blood squirting out his dome, smashed goggles, and grass sticking out of his helmet – I’m offering a FREE lesson. For the safety of the other skiers!
5) I’m thinking that you need one additional accessory for future ski trips – some sort of beeping sound that emanates from your helmet as long as you are on the slopes. This serves two purposes – the first being to alert all other skiers that there is danger nearby, the second being to locate you in case of another accident.

5:28 PM

 
Blogger Jenn said...

Brian is the coolest person ever.

5:22 AM

 
Blogger BAS said...

Brian is the cruelest person ever.

5:58 AM

 
Blogger Jenn said...

Okay, maybe I agree, but wouldn't Mr. Scho Long do the same if the tables were turned?

6:21 AM

 
Blogger BAS said...

Undoubtedly. That is why I had to personally announce to the world back in 2g2 that I had soiled my undies. I needed to pre-empt Scho Long from announcing it at a more "strategic" moment.

6:28 AM

 
Blogger ashley said...

And when he says he had to announce it to the world that he had soiled his undies he isn't kidding. Imagine driving down the road with your husband, sister, and brother-in-law when out of NO WHERE your husband announces, "Did you know that I pooped my pants when I was in Pensacola" !!!!!What the merph!?!?!?!?

6:49 AM

 
Blogger BAS said...

It's better than Fuji announcing it during our wedding toast.

6:59 AM

 
Blogger BAS said...

When you said tire, did you mean tahr?

8:48 AM

 
Blogger sarah cool said...

"5) I’m thinking that you need one additional accessory for future ski trips – some sort of beeping sound that emanates from your helmet as long as you are on the slopes. This serves two purposes – the first being to alert all other skiers that there is danger nearby, the second being to locate you in case of another accident. "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHA

10:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home