Monday, May 07, 2007

Official Bada$$

A few months ago when we were in SLC I sent an email to dooce to try to arrange for a quick meet up because it would be Jenn's dream to meet her, or at least to meet chuck. As I wrote this stranger an email and mentioned that we were in SLC for a ski trip and that we would likely run by her house during one of our training runs I told her "Even though we seem like bada$$es because we ski and run marathons, we really aren't." Well, I guess now, I take that back. We just ran a marathon at a respectable pace for a first timer so at least in the near term I am classifying Jenn and I as official Bada$$es.


I'll admit, that holding hands across the finish takes some points away (see Fuji's comment on Jenn's blog) but it's pretty hard to say "no" to the request to do that as you pass mile 26 with 4 other people you toiled with through long gruelling training runs for the past 6 months. Especially when you shared such intimate stories with them about their colitis and their time in Nam.

The picture here is particularly funny though and I think sums up our experience. We had a ton of fun during the race. I mean a ton!!!! The crowd, the bands, the signs were inspiring and enjoyable. All that just made it a blast. But this picture cracks me up. The girl in the distance, Shannon, trained with us as well, although she was/is already a registered Bada$$ for completing a marathon before. But look at how intense she is compared to Jenn and I. Buff, no wonder she moved on ahead of us shortly after this picture and we didn't see her again. She finished about 7 minutes in front of us. She also might have just been annoyed by "Eye of the Tiger" radiating from my Ipod's external speakers.

2 Comments:

Blogger amo said...

This is one of my favorites as well. You guys had such great attitudes. I am so proud.

You are DEFINITELY official bada$$es!

7:47 AM

 
Blogger Jenn said...

does Bada$$es mean that we get a bunch of cash for completing the marathon??

I'm hungry.

Shannon's face is indeed pricele$$.

Way to sum up the experience Justin. Can't wait to see the professional pics.

10:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home