Friday, March 09, 2007

Electric Sludge


If you haven't realized it, this blog is going to be dominated by kitchen stuff for awhile. That is pretty much my life. I'll try to make it as interesting as possible though.


Last evening I progressed nicely with the demo. Small group got canceled which gave me a couple of extra hours to rip down ceiling and a few boards. Jonathan is coming over on Saturday to help with the floor and I'm hoping that I just spend Sunday tying up some loose ends and cleaning the place up a bit. I did however want to take the opportunity of no friends in the house to try to tackle what I'm pretty sure is asbestos insulated pipe.... remnant radiator lines in the ceiling and walls. I needed a little help from Jenn to hold the pipes up while I cut them with my massive reciprocating saw so I gave her the toxic dust mask and held my breath. As I was cutting these two particular pipes I was reminded of the story my HVAC dude told me of the black sludge that builds up at the bottom of radiators. Nothing bad, just a little gross, I guess from the minerals in the pipes and water over the course of 50+ years of use. I was reminded because these two pipes still had the residual sludge that began spraying and oozing all over me as I cut. Nonetheless, I cut away to finish the job as I quickly was blackened all over my arms and face.


On pipe two I got about halfway through and my hand started getting a tingling cramp. Reminded me of the numbness I would get after long motorcycle rides.... ahhhh the memories. No surprise, my hands have been about the only thing that have shown significant soreage through this process. I kept going and felt the cramping and then realized that I was close to the old over the sink light junction box and although the wires are capped off I was actually getting shocked.... bufff. I hadn't turned the breakers off. I went down quickly and shut the power off and went to town again. BUFFFF, shocked again, pretty bad this time. Holy Merph, the pipe is electrified. What's going on? Well, as smart people might have guessed, when the "make the lights flicker" electric saw gets watery sludge all over it it must allow current to flow through the user. BUFFFUFUFUFFFF. I quit for the evening after that.


I do not deny that I completely do not understand electricity. That's why I was a Civil Engineer, not an Electrical. My Freshman year at Purdue I actually scored in the bottom 5% of my class in the Physics class on electricity after the first exam. I managed to escape with a "C" and ran. Lovingly pursuing my tangible steel, concrete and wood structures. I worked for an Electrical Engineering company in college and did testing, calibration, and assembly. Quite fun because I got to solder, but shocked myself almost weekly because I would always touch the red resistor. Never touch the red resistor!!! That was 220 volt too. And for some reason, 220 volt is worse the 120, although everyone always says it's the amps that matter.... what the buff does that mean? I also shocked myself not once, not twice, but three times, when I was fixing my air conditioner just because I didn't shut off the breaker. You think I would learn after 2 times to shut the darn thing off.


So, questions:


1) What is the theory behind my shocking sawing last night? Does that mean the outlet isn't grounded? Shouldn't it have tripped the breaker when current started running through my body?

2) Shouldn't the saw have fried like the box fan I tried to dry out by turning it on in nine-seven after I hosed it off in the shower? Why did it keep working?

4 Comments:

Blogger BAS said...

I am not 100% sure on my answer but probably Kanning can answer. I'm thinking your outlets don't have GFCI protection - it wasn't required in kitchens of new homes until 1987. It is possible that your circuit breakers have GFCI, but it is very expensive (much more than having GFCI outlets). A normal circuit breaker is checking for overloaded circuits and short circuits. A GFCI is looking for ground faults and will trip at a much lower current than a circuit breaker. From your description of the fault, I believe GFCI is what you would need and possibly lacked.

We make and sell this stuff so I should probably understand better, but this is my basic comprehension. TK can tell us if a bilateral limit trigger switch might also help.

11:10 AM

 
Blogger Jared said...

all i want to know is did you yell out "hey y'all, watch this!!!" to jenn and frank before you started sawing the the pipe after you got shocked the first time?

on a side note, electricity is like the Trinity, not meant to be fully understood by our small, finite brains.

9:18 AM

 
Blogger Justin said...

Definitely wasn't GFCI, I'm extension corded into the dining room since the kitchen breakers are usually off. I guess I'll be putting in GFCI outlets in when I do the kitchen though. Yikes.

I did put the radial transistor diodes to the test over the weekend which tripped the breaker once. Glad they work.

5:24 AM

 
Blogger BAS said...

Don't EVER underestimate the brain of an industrial engineer!

You should really put GFCI in your bathrooms too, knowing your history of fans and stuff. Next thing I know, you're going to taking a bubble bath and the space heater is going to fall in the tub. New houses actually required GFCI in bathrooms about a decade before kitchens did.

8:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home