Tuesday, April 10, 2007

This will be a boring one

I don't feel like working yet today so I'm just going to blog first and then get my day rolling. As you guessed, even though it was Easter weekend, my weekend consisted of running, and working on the kitchen/bath. Many minor frustrations rippled through the work which was mainly putting up the wall framing. The most frustating part was a couple of supply lines I had to cap off in order to fit one of the walls in place. I was denying the need to do it as I will be completely replacing those lines in a couple weeks but unfortunately we couldn't move forward until they were below floor level.... Although a seemingly easy task (I have soldered copper pipe many times) it required significant ceiling demo in the garage (needed regardless for future work) and for whatever reason one line would just not quit dripping. I actually thought I was done, came back the next morning, it was still dripping, After about 14 tries, no exageration, I just quit and put a bucket under it. BTW, Jenn if you are reading this, go down to the garage and empty the white trash can that is sitting on the ladder. It is probably about half full by now.

Another somewhat significant frustration came to me last night when I decided to mark the floor drain for the bathtub, yup, right in the middle of the steel joist. In fact, it's not quite in the middle, it is just off of center but the wrong way so I'll have to move the even more wall. I knew this was a possibility but it basically landed in the exact worst location. The good news, the bathroom will be a little bigger, the bad news, I have to move the wall out and the dining room will be a little smaller.

Luckily these minor frustrations do not affect the overall timeline but the next couple months are riddled with known delays, marathon, family visits, vacation. Plus, one significant issue is my plumbing buddy may not be available to help me the weekend I want to start which would not only set me back one week, but the following weekend is the marathon so I can't really start then, so I just lost two weeks. suck.

Sorry to whine. I'll be better next time. Time to work.

9 Comments:

Blogger BAS said...

You have a "plumbing buddy"?

Sincerely,
Travel Buddy

9:26 AM

 
Blogger amo said...

Welcome to the world of construction delays. I can't believe how easy it is to get off schedule in ANY project, no matter the complexity.

11:43 AM

 
Blogger Jenn said...

i'll go check that white trash can. yikes!

2:41 PM

 
Blogger BAS said...

I wonder if checking the white trash can qualifies you to be a "plumbing buddy"?

6:13 PM

 
Blogger Jenn said...

perhaps, but I think that becoming a "plumbing buddy" may involve actually sweating in some pipes or installing fixtures...

5:04 AM

 
Blogger Justin said...

That's what she said.

12:46 PM

 
Blogger Jenn said...

i knew you would say that.

7:22 PM

 
Blogger BAS said...

B-B-B-BUUUFFFFFFFFFFFFf!

6:22 AM

 
Blogger Erin said...

I had a pipe leaking like that back in the Great Plumbing Debacle of 2007. I finally shoved a bucket under it, then drained the only line I could find under that line, then put my snake light on the end of the pipe to hold it down so the water would drain into the bucket, and left it for the night. I came back the next day and it was dry enough to get my solder on. Uh, people swear by the balled up bread trick (I've seen this suggestion everywhere!), but all it got for me was a crusty lump of blackened, stinking bread that I had to pull back out of the pipe with a tweezer. So, I don't recommend that.

If you need a plumbing buddy on the one weekend, I am probably available. I have my own goggles and torch.

11:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home