Thursday, July 05, 2007

Light On!

I haven't blogged much lately due to busyness and Jenn usually picks up most of the happenings of my life so you're covered. Plus, I figured you get pretty bored with... "This is what I did on the kitchen this week...." posts. That answer has pretty much been "plumbing". I'm glad I did the plumbing because we save a bundle but man, it really hurt the schedule. And as I wrapped it up this past weekend I was a little bummed when an old pipe that I didn't even work on started leaking so I have to go back and cut some stuff out and fix it. The beauty is, I'm pretty good now so it shouldn't be difficult, just a pain and/or disappointing that it is not completely done. Thing I learned.... always, always, put in a drain valve at any low point in a plumbing system. For those that understand, you cannot have water in a pipe that you need to sweat. Most systems you can drain (utility sink in the basement, etc.) but I have 2 5' sections that are low. The day I was buying valves they were out of the ones I wanted so I took a risk. Has caused me all sorts of extra work.

The really great thing is though, I got a great situation with an electrician, Dan. Side job for him and he needed some work this week so he started pretty quick. He's basically letting me help him and he is just charging me hourly. Any hour I save him is just money in my pocket. On Tuesday, I took the day off and Jenn and I hung can lights while he wired them up, at the end of the day the kitchen lights were on!!! Yahoo!!!! Very huge as I could barely work in there when the sun wasn't up. Now, it is almost blinding. Will probably go with lower wattage bulbs once these burn out. Dan should finish up tomorrow and then I will just be doing some misc. stuff to prep for drywall.

Anyone have any recos for drywallers? I think I might sucker Jared and his buddy into it but this is something I would love to hire out... if the price is right. :-) (Man, I love Bob Barker)

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

you are doing a wonderful job. can't wait to get that drywall up.

6:00 AM

 
Blogger BAS said...

Drywall is so easy, dude. Even I can do that! Sweating pipes is something ... I'm not even exactly sure what it is, to be honest. But I'm sure it's far harder than drywall! What, is drywall work beneath you or something? Home makeover snob.

10:47 AM

 
Blogger Erin said...

i'm up for hanging the drywall. just let me know when you're doing it. :)

3:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home